Garden blogging: Part the second

I finished the project this morning. (And did some more stuff, mainly weed removal from another bed.)

For the story so far, go here.

I started this morning by giving the bed one last blast of Roundup and then covering the dirt with newsprint. (A few years ago, a single Sunday paper might have done the trick, but we all know what's happened to the newspaper biz.)


I even managed to find a front page that had Dook on it, so I could bury 'em, haha. (Hey, it was the one when they went to visit Obama at the White House. Two for the price of one.)


Next, I put landscaping cloth over the papers and secured the cloth with stakes. It too exactly one roll to cover the area.



Next step: some dirt. Cheap topsoil to give the forthcoming mulch a little better sticking power.



Then, the mulch. Ten bags of it. And I could have used a couple more. Fortunately, the previous owners of the house piled leaves by the back fence (possibly to make compost), so with a couple of garden cartfuls, I had enough rich stuff to fill in.






Finally, I moved containers into place.



Not a bad couple of mornings' work, if I say so myself.



Finally, photos of a couple of smaller flower beds I forgot to post earlier. The plants in the top one were dang near eaten up by the bugs and the birds and the rodents. They'ver bounced back wonderfully.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newspapers, 1690-2009?